At the beginning of its arrival in Australia Doordash only provided on-demand food delivery service, but along with the continuing pandemic which forces some people to stay at home, the company now trying to expand its product and service so that the customer not only ordered food but also every day needs from their favourite stores.
Introduced starting around June 2021 Doordash grocery delivery in Australia has served customers in several big cities around the country who want their daily essentials delivered from several local supermarkets and grocery stores. This kind of service had been carried out by Doordash in its home country a year earlier and received a positive response because it was considered very helpful for its customers and offered new opportunities for local businesses at this difficult time.
For Dasher or the company’s delivery partners, this is a nice thing because they will get a new opportunity to get grocery delivery requests. They can expect more requests because there should be more supermarkets and grocery customers in addition to orders from restaurants which sometimes only happen occasionally during mealtimes.
Where grocery delivery available?
The Doordash grocery and supermarkets delivery opportunity is currently accepted by delivery partners in several major cities such as Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. To be able to further confirm whether this service in your area is available or not, you can see it via the customer app. You’ll be able to find a Convenience icon in the app’s top menu.
If there is no icon, it is possible that the on-demand grocery delivery is still not available in your area, or is still in the process of integrating the store into the platform which might take a long time.
Which grocery stores are available at Doordash?
An on-demand non-food delivery service is a new service for Doordash in Australia. That’s probably the reason why currently only a few grocery stores and supermarkets are listed in the app. Some of them are big names in the country such as Woolworths, Coles, IGA Supermarket, Reject Shop, QuickStop, PETstock, etc.
The number of grocery stores is likely to continue to grow rapidly over time. It’s not a difficult thing to do, because they have experience in adding a lot of restaurants in a short amount of time on their platform. Maybe in the future, every grocery store in Uber Eats can also be served by Doordash.
How to pick-up grocery order
There is no significant difference for dasher or delivery partners when running this grocery delivery request. The only different part is at the time of order pick-up. Every store has its own pick-up preference and makes sure to follow any given instructions in your Dasher app. As an example, the following is an overview of the process:
- Accepting requests: You will receive requests that will say “This is Doordash Drive grocery order” in your Dasher app, similar to when you receive food orders as usual.
- Navigating to the store: Dasher app will navigate you to the store location, inside the app you may also see additional information about where to park your vehicle once arrived at the location (e.g. Click and Collect bay for Coles order).
- Arriving and picking up the items: Experiencing difficulty finding the pickup location? you can always contact the store with the provided number. Besides that, delivery partners can also go directly to the store and leave their vehicle to collect the groceries from the service desk, take it and securely place the items inside the vehicle.
- Navigating to the drop-off: Start the delivery in the Dasher app and follow the navigation as usual just like when you deliver food items from a restaurant.
- Dropping off the items: Follow any drop-off information provided by the customer, hand it to them or leave it at a safe place.
When it’s a “hand it to me” order and you can’t find the customer, it is recommended to follow every “Customer is Unavailable” step to properly complete the delivery. Failed to follow the steps may get you in trouble because you will receive an order never arrived report from the customer.
Some drivers even say that grocery order pick-up is easier and faster to complete than pick-up food from some restaurants since some of them only start preparing the food when the drivers arrive at the location.
Doordash grocery delivery order pay
As we explained earlier, delivery pay depends upon various factors including the driving distance, estimated activity time, traffic, etc. In addition, drivers also get the opportunity to earn more per delivery when there’s a Peak Pay promotion that applies when you receive a request. The following is an example of a driver who received a grocery delivery request from Coles.
Those pay structures also apply to on-demand grocery delivery. So, if you were previously satisfied with how Doordash pays you for delivering food, chances are you will not be disappointed with this kind of order. After all, you can still see how much they will pay you on the driver app when they offer it, you can still refuse if you think it’s not worth it.