Gig-economy jobs provide an opportunity for everyone to make money with flexible working time. One of the rising gig-economy jobs is a delivery driver. This kind of job also available in Australia and many apply to become a partner to earn extra income aside from their main jobs and activities.
One of the requirements to become a delivery driver (using a motorcycle, scooter or car) in several online food delivery companies across Australia such as Uber Eats, Menulog, DoorDash and Deliveroo is to have an unrestricted or full Australian driver’s licence. This is a difficult requirement for those who only stay temporarily in this country.
Fortunately, in some states in Australia, temporary visa holders are granted leeway to use their own overseas driver’s licence to work with Uber Eats and similar companies. This is good news for some folks especially those who only live a couple of years in this country, like an international student.
International students and other temporary visa holders are the majority of individuals who take advantage of this work to earn extra income as it can help support their personal expenses while away from their home country.
Where an overseas driver licence is accepted?
Not all states in Australia allow the use of international driver’s licences to work, especially on on-demand food delivery platforms like Uber Eats or Menulog. Eligible delivery partners who hold a temporary visa and full international driver license will be allowed to deliver using a car, motorbike or scooter.
Until now, valid overseas licences have only been accepted several cities in 5 states around the country.
|Australian Capital Territory (ACT)||Canberra|
|New South Wales (NSW)||Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong, Byron Bay and Wagga Wagga|
|Western Australia (WA)||Perth and Bunbury|
|Queensland (QLD)||Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, Mackay, Rockhampton, Cairns, Townsville and Hervey Bay|
However, there is no need to be disappointed if the city you currently live in is not on the list. Temporary visa holders outside those cities still have an option to deliver using a push or electrical bike, no licence required.
Accepted country of origin
Not all Australian visa holders can use their driver license in the country. From 195 country across the world, overseas driver licenses can only be used by those who come from the 47 countries below.
Argentina, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, France, Germany, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Malaysia, Mexico, Nepal, Netherlands, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Turkey, UAE, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Vietnam.
The Right-Hand Traffic (RHT) practices may be one of reason why overseas driver licences from the above-mentioned countries are allowed to be used in the country.
Overseas driver licence requirements
There are several requirements for an overseas driver’s licence to be accepted:
- It should be a valid government-issued driver’s licence that clearly shows a photo of yourself and does not exceed the expiration date printed on the licence.
- Be valid for the type of vehicle, for example, you have to upload the motorcycle driver’s licence from your home country if you want to deliver with a scooter or motorbike in Australia, you cannot replace it with a car license or the other.
- It should be in English otherwise, you need to add a NAATI-certified translation of your driver’s licence.
- If the name printed on your driver license is slightly different from other supporting documents or doesn’t show your full legal name. Then you are required to include additional docs such as a Proof of Age Card, a Statutory Declaration signed by Australian Police Force or Australian Government official.
Additional requirements to deliver with overseas driver’s licence
Besides the license, to be able to start working you also have to submit the following required docs.
- To be able to use an international license you should hold a temporary visa and not a permanent visa. Your visa should pass a background check and a VEVO check.
- Your vehicle must be 1990 or newer, should be in good condition and roadworthy.
- The vehicle must be validly registered in Australia.
- Vehicle insurance policy that includes the following information: the insured driver, insured vehicle details, policy type, expired date and liability coverage.
If you are already registered as a delivery partner under a bike account, you can still request to switch your vehicle to a car or a scooter. On Uber this platform it can be done by updating your current docs, it could take 3 working days to complete once you have submitted all the docs. You won’t be able to take a delivery request while the switch takes place, so make sure you are ready to not be able to get any money within that time frame.
Delivery company that accept overseas driver licence
Permission to use international licenses is a State’s regulations. Most on-demand food delivery companies, including Uber Eats, Menulog, DoorDash and Deliveroo, which open their services at VIC, NSW, QLD, WA and ACT, should be able to accept delivery partners who use overseas licenses to sign up as a delivery driver.