Gig-economy jobs provide an opportunity for everyone to make money with flexible working time. One of the rising gig-economy jobs is a delivery driver. This kind of job also available in Australia and many apply to become a partner to earn extra income aside from their main jobs and activities.
One of the requirements to become a delivery driver (using a motorcycle, scooter or car) in several online food delivery companies across Australia such as Uber Eats, Menulog, DoorDash and Deliveroo is to have an unrestricted or full Australian driver’s licence. This is a difficult requirement for those who only stay temporarily in this country.
Fortunately, in some states in Australia, temporary visa holders are granted leeway to use their own overseas driver’s licence to work with Uber Eats and similar companies. This is good news for some folks especially those who only live a couple of years in this country, like an international student.
International students and other temporary visa holders are the majority of individuals who take advantage of this work to earn extra income as it can help support their personal expenses while away from their home country.
Where an overseas driver’s licence can be used
Not all states in Australia allow the use of international driver’s licences to work, especially on on-demand food delivery platforms like Uber Eats or Menulog. Until now, valid overseas licenses have only been accepted in Victoria, Queensland and the Australian Capital Territory (ACT).
Eligible delivery partners who hold a temporary visa and full international driver’s license will be allowed to deliver using car, motorbike or scooter in many cities including Melbourne, Brisbane and Canberra. However, temporary visa holders who still want to be able to work even though they are not staying in this state, they still have an option to deliver using a bicycle.
Acceptable international driver’s licence
There are several requirements for an overseas driver’s licence to be accepted:
- It should be a valid government-issued driver’s licence that clearly shows a photo of yourself and does not exceed the expiration date printed on the licence.
- Be valid for the type of vehicle, for example, you have to upload the motorcycle driver’s licence from your home country if you want to deliver with a scooter or motorbike in Australia, you cannot replace it with a car license or the other.
- It should be in English otherwise, you need to add NAATI-certified translation of your driver’s licence.
- It should be issued by the following accepted list of the country: Argentina, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, France, Germany, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Malaysia, Mexico, Nepal, Netherlands, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Turkey, UAE, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Vietnam.
Which delivery company accept overseas driver’s licence
Permission to use international licenses is a State’s regulations. Most on-demand food delivery companies, including Uber Eats, Menulog, DoorDash and Deliveroo, which open their services at VIC, QLD and ACT, they should be able to accept delivery partners who use overseas licenses to sign up as a delivery driver.
Additional requirements to deliver with overseas driver’s licence
Besides the license, to be able to start working you also have to submit the following required docs.
- To be able to use an international license you should hold a temporary visa and not a permanent visa. Your visa should pass a background check and a VEVO check.
- Your vehicle must be 1990 or newer, should be in good condition and roadworthy.
- The vehicle must be validly registered in Australia.
- Vehicle insurance policy that includes the following information: the insured driver, insured vehicle details, policy type, expired date and liability coverage.
If you are already registered as a delivery partner under bike account, you can still request to switch your vehicle to a car or a scooter. On Uber this platform it can be done by updating your current docs, it could take 3 working days to complete once you have submitted all the docs. You won’t be able to take a delivery request while the switch takes place, so make sure you are ready to not be able to get any money within that time frame.